[Avodah] Question About Cholov Yisroel milk

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Jul 2 06:22:55 PDT 2018

>From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. I visited a farm and saw cows being milked. I only drink Cholov Yisroel milk. May I buy the milk that was produced during my visit to the farm? (A consumer question)

A. A Cholov Yisroel consumer should not buy such milk. The Rama (Yoreh Deah 115:1) writes that the Yisroel who supervises the milking should be present at techilas ha-chalivah – the start of the milking – and that he should inspect the milking equipment before commencement of the milking, in order to verify that no unsupervised milk is present and that the equipment has been fully cleaned. If this was not done, the Rama permits such milk only b’dieved (after the fact), while others prohibit it entirely for Cholov Yisroel use.

Unless your visit to the farm includes an inspection of the milking equipment prior to the start of the milking (and you also supervised the completion of the milking and verified the cleanliness of all milk processing and storage equipment), the milk which you saw there should not be purchased as Cholov Yisroel.