[Avodah] The Molad of Tamuz

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Jul 1 21:05:06 PDT 2018

On 01/07/18 22:56, Richard Fiedler wrote:
> I don’t think we need to get into a semantic argument. This is a list in
> English. We should all agree that a day in a Hebrew discussion begins
> with sunset.

No, it does not.  When you agree to meet someone at 10PM on Sunday you
do not mean motzoei shabbos, you mean Sunday night, or leyom Sheni. If
you show up on motzoei shabbos the other person will not be there.  If
you announce in English "The molad will be on Thursday at 7pm" everyone
understands you to mean Thursday evening, not Wednesday evening.  That
is a simple fact.  The same would be true if the announcement were in
Yiddish or even Hebrew.

> On the website of Beit El Yeshiva Center, https://www.yeshiva.co/calendar/moladot, it states for Zman HaMolad:
>
> "the Molad of Month Tammuz
> will be on on the Night of Thursday
> 0 hours and 97 parts
> at 18:05, and7 parts"

That is just poor English on the part of whoever programmed the page.
It is a mistranslation of "leil chamishi", or "or leyom chamishi", which
means *Wednesday* night.  It's just as wrong as those amusing
mistranslations we pass around such as "clean for fear of foreskin".

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper