[Avodah] Tisha b'Av (A Bad Dream)

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Jul 22 06:31:02 PDT 2018

For some reason I couldn’t sleep most of the night.
I find it interesting that it occurred on Tisha b’Av.
So as a result, I studied many different aspects about
the saddest day of the Jewish year.

I came across the following insight which I found amazing.
There is a halacha that if you have a bad dream Friday night,
you are not only allowed but should fast (the rest of) Shabbos.
The reason given is that you feel so badly for whatever this dream
signifies or symbolizes and you have to fast as an atonement of sorts.

So the question is asked: What about when Tisha b’Av falls on Shabbos?
If someone feels the same pain and anguish for the Destruction of the B”H,
why is he or she not allowed to fast on Shabbos and must observe Tisha b’Av
on Sunday, whereas if that same individual has a bad dream on Friday night,
he must fast on Shabbos? Certainly the pain of mourning the beis hamikdash
equals or surpasses that of a bad dream.

The answer given is that on Shabbos, the Beis Hamikdash exists. In other words,
on Shabbos, there is a construct of the beis hamikdash extant which adds to the
kedusha of Shabbos. So there is no reason to mourn the destruction of the beis hamikdash
because it has been temporarily restored. On the other hand, a bad dream on Friday night,
specifically has to do with Shabbos because that is when the person had the dream.

May we see the coming of the Moshiach, bimheyra b’yameinu, Amen!