[Avodah] changing paradigms?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 27 12:42:34 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 01:18:14PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: The more I learn Shulchan Aruch and Mishna Brurah the more I understand
: the Maharshal's opposition to codification vs. relearning the basic
: sources to obtain the clearest understanding possible of Chazal's
: underlying theories for extrapolation to new cases...

This is why the Maharal (Be'er 1, ch 19 or so) says that the Tur is
only usable because of the BY, and SA, because it comes with the suite
of nosei keilim.

Speaking after years of learning AhS daily... There is a strong feel for
the flow of the pesaq and how each area of halakhah is reasoned through
by going to Tur, BY, SA, nosei keilim, AhS.

It could be the Maharshal too would be more bothered by the Yad than
by the other codes, IFF once studies the Tur or SA (or MB) with the
other texts that explain how we got there.

Micha Berger             "The worst thing that can happen to a
micha at aishdas.org        person is to remain asleep and untamed."
http://www.aishdas.org          - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm
Fax: (270) 514-1507