[Avodah] Benefits of Davening K'Vosikin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 25 06:49:29 PDT 2018

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 07:51:45AM EDT, Prof. Levine wrote:
: Isn't modern Hebrew filled with all sorts of new words that are not
: found in TANACH,  so why not this one?

Because this isn't Modern Hebrew (Abazi"t as RSMandel calls it). This
is halachic jargon that is also being used in Judeo-English and Yiddish.
There is something sad about the widening gap between Leshon haQodesh
and Abazit, as the latter adopts more terms, ideas and biases from
English and other Western languages. But that's an entirely different
topic.

People are trying to "do halakhah" without understanding the language
the categories they're trying to implements are labeled in. Without
understanding the language of Chazal, we are missing a lot of subtlety
about what they meant. With bigger problems (if less about din) if
you don't know the workings of the language of Tefillah, Tehillim
or Chumash.

Judaism without diqduq is a paler, less nuanced, thing.

I expect you have a LOT from RSRH in your cut-n-paste library on this.

Earlier, at 10:10:22AM IDT, Simon Montagu wrote the post that Prof
Levine was replying to:
: But I try to be melamed zechut on Am Yisrael. There is a noun "ketz" from
: the root KTZTZ meaning "end", why shouldn't there be a noun "netz" from the
: root "NTZTZ" meaning "shining" or "sunrise"? There certainly is such a word
: meaning "bud", it occurs in Bereishit 40:10 in the sar hamashkim's
: description of his dream and in Hazal.

Nitzotz. Yeshaiah 1:31 uses it to refer to a spark, as it's something
that starts a fire. Comes up a number of times in Chazal. Most famously
to people who daven Ashkenaz, Shabbos 3:6: nosenin keli sachas haneir
leqabeil nitzotzos. There is a beis hanitzotz in the BHMQ. Libun requires
nitzotzos coming out of the keli. "Nitzotzos ein bahen mamash". (Shabbos
47b)

BUT... getting back to that nuance theme... Haneitz is when there is
enough light to make things like that sparkle. It's before alos, which
is when the first spark of the sun is visible.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
micha at aishdas.org        Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
http://www.aishdas.org   beyond measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Anonymous