[Avodah] Making a bracha on Niagara Falls

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Tue May 22 11:02:42 PDT 2018

At 10:27 AM 5/22/2018, Micha Berger wrote:
>Although here there is no contradiction. A class trip to Niagra Falls
>will reduce learning. A gadol's trip the alps does not necessarily.
>It's not like schoolkids will be learning on the bus, shift their sedarim
>around, etc...

The question was asked about girls' high schools,  not yeshiva boys!

Do you really think he was concerned about the reduction in learning
for the girls!  I think not!

He held that Niagara is "nothing" something that makes no sense to me
in light of the fact the Falls are one of Hashem's wonders.

[Email #2.]

Here is what R. Miller actually said in response to a question about
going to Niagara Falls.  the question was asked about high schools
taking girls to the Falls. As you can see,  his statement about
Niagara Falls being "nothing " had nothing to do with bitul Torah.

I find his response baffling to say the least.

YL
<https://us17.campaign-archive.com/?e=36dbdc2d1a&u=9c3f2f103d7121f7ccd2081ae&id=ddedcb307a>

Rav Avigdor Miller on Niagara Falls

Q:
What is your opinion of the importance of a high school taking their
students on a trip to Niagara Falls?

A:
My opinion is that it's nothing at all. You have to travel so far,
and spend so much money to see Niagara Falls?!

Let's say, here's a frum girls' school. So they have the day off, or
the week off, whatever it is. And where do they go? To Niagara Falls.
What's in Niagara Falls?! A lot of water falling off a cliff. Nothing
at all. Nothing at all!

It's the yetzer harah. The yetzer harah makes everyone dissatisfied.
People who are really happy with what they have are almost impossible
to find. They may say, "We're happy," but they're not. And therefore,
they're always seeking something else. And so, they travel to Niagara
Falls. You might say differently, but I'm telling you, that's the
reason why people travel to Niagara Falls. It's the yetzer harah that
is making you dissatisfied. So you have to go to see water falling
off a cliff. But really it's nothing at all.

Of course, you yield a little bit to the yetzer harah in order that
more girls should come to your school. You have an outing every year
to get new talmidos, new students. But really it's nothing at all.
TAPE # E-193 (June 1999)