[Avodah] Directions on Shabbat

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jun 19 08:17:39 PDT 2018

On 19/06/18 06:01, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 09:15:18AM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> : There is a question as to whether or not it is permitted for someone
> : to give driving directions on Shabbat to a Jew. According to the
> : opinion that says it is assur, would it be permitted to do so if the
> : driver was in YOSH and without accurate directions he could drive
> : into a hostile Arab town?
>
> I don't see the question. Safeiq piquach nefesh open-and-shut mutar,
> no?

I don't know the answer, and wouldn't dare try to pasken it, but I do
see a big question.  The person is in no danger now.  He will be in
danger only if he chooses to drive on Shabbos.  Is it permitted to help
him do so safely?  Does it make you an accomplice to his avera?   Does
hal'itehu larasha' perhaps apply here?

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper