[Avodah] Used Metal Pots Bought From a Non-Jew

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Jun 19 06:42:33 PDT 2018

Q. I bought a set of used metal pots from a non-Jew. Do I kasher them first or do I tovel them first?

A. Shulchan Aruch (YD 121:2) writes that one should first kasher the pot and afterwards immerse it in a mikvah. If one toveled the pot first before kashering, it is a matter of dispute among Rishonim whether the tevila was effective. The Rashbam (cited in Beis Yosef YD 121) writes that toveling a pot before kosherization is like immersing in a mikvah while holding a sheretz (unclean item) and the tevila is ineffective. However, other Rishonim disagree and maintain that tevila is a separate mitzvah and is not connected with kashering. The Shach (YD 121:5) writes that if one was to tovel a pot before kashering, tevila should be repeated without a bracha because of the uncertainty. Nonetheless, the Dagul Merivava writes if the pot had not been used in the past 24 hours, one may tovel before kashering. After 24 hours, the non-kosher taste that had been absorbed in the pot is ruined. At that point the absorbed taste is no longer similar to a sheretz.

YL