[Avodah] B'li Neder

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 18 08:48:48 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 07:30:24AM -0400, Cantor Wolberg via Avodah wrote:
: As I recall, somewhere in Pirkei Avos it says that we don't know the exact
: reward or punishment for mitzvos or aveiros. That's only known by HQBH.
: However, I also remember learning it is more praiseworthy to do a mitzvah
: that you've taken on versus doing it optionally, though it seems counterintuitive.

To do a mitzvah Hashem obligated you in, yes. But one you've taken
on yourself? I don't know.

As for untuitiveness, see my 9/8/2001 post at
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol07/v07n098.shtml#09>. But it ties
together why Hashem would command men in something He didn't command
women to that mitzvah likely being of more value to a man, to the
greater reward. A line of reasoning that doesn't apply to volunteerism.

Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,
http://www.aishdas.org   and it flies away.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter