[Avodah] Learning, Spirituality, and Neo-Chassidus

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 18 07:50:20 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 1:14pm, R Aryeh Stein wrote on Areivim:
> Rabbi Shafran's letter to Mishpacha included the following paragraph:
>> It's easy to say that a person has a relationship with Hashem wherever
>> he is, regardless of what he is doing, but it's not true. Many of us break
>> that connection through destructive habits and the like, and sugarcoating
>> them doesn't make them any less destructive. "Feeling spiritual" may
>> be better than feeling bad about yourself, as quoted in the article,
>> but are we to be content with feeling spiritual?

I think the real problem with R' Avi Shafran's article was picked up in
the replies. It's not an either-or. Rather, people whose core learning
is the regular gefe"s or shas-and-posqim aren't getting inspired by
intellectual pursuit *alone* and are looking for a better connection to
the emotional and experiential aspects of Yahadus. Addition, not
replacement.

The question is more:
Are we content with thinking the right thoughts while being parched
spiritually?