[Avodah] Realizing a Vision?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 12 13:39:37 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 01:02:35PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Assume community leadership believes morning prayer should last 45
: minutes, and posts appropriate starting and midpoint times. The majority
: of the community comes well after the official starting time so as to
: reach Yishtabach "on time" by praying more quickly. Does this accomplish
: the true desired result or does it establish "unofficial" norms? If not,
: how else might the desired result be accomplished?

Through unofficial norms. It wasn't all that long ago (at most a couple of
decades) when speed was left to the chazan watching the rav (or the chazan
himself, if the rav is at another minyan), and the norms of the minyan
set the chazan's pace without a watch and often without conscious thought.

But then, even in those days people were coming late. I think you're
dealing with a misdiagnosis.

To my mind, the only real way to get people to come on time and to stay
for davening and not spend the time learning with breaks for prayer is to
offer programming that helps people relate to davening. If you don't cure
the problem of boredum, people will come late regardless of the scheduling
system, and find excuses to step out, whether physically or mentally.

I would suggest the minyan in question explore in that direction, rather
than worry about how Yishtabach time is determined.

Micha Berger             You are where your thoughts are.
micha at aishdas.org                - Ramban, Igeres haQodesh, Ch. 5
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507