[Avodah] Does the mitzvah of V'kidashto (honoring a Kohen) also apply to daughters of Kohanim or the wives of Kohanim?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Jun 8 13:47:54 PDT 2018

On 08/06/18 16:21, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:

> BTW, the nearest Bar Ilan found for me was Igeros Moshah OC 2:50-51.
> Rav Moshe holds that a kohein married to a gerushah should not get the
> first aliyah (#50), but (#51) a mumar letei'avon may, because he's not
> a kofer.

This is not just RMF, it's the plain halacha.  A kohen who eats treif
and breaks shabbos can even duchen, let alone get the first aliyah.
Even if he's living with a nochris he can still duchen.  But the moment
she converts and marries him he can no longer duchen.  And if he can't
duchen then of course he can't get the first aliya either.  (The baal
mum is different.  The only reason he can't duchen is because the
deformity is in his hand; if it were anywhere else he could duchen.  And
even so he still has a *chiyuv* to duchen, which is why he has to leave
before retzei in order to avoid it. A cohen married to a grusha doesn't
have to leave, since he is a temporary chalal and thus has no chiyuv.)

It seems to me that "vekidashto" *does* apply to the wives of cohanim,
because for purposes of kavod the general rule is ishto kegufo, and a
wife who marries up gets her husband's social status.  As for his
unmarried daughters, it seems to me that they too are included in their
father's status for this purpose, since they are called by his name.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper