[Avodah] Does the mitzvah of V'kidashto (honoring a Kohen) also apply to daughters of Kohanim or the wives of Kohanim?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 8 13:21:23 PDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 03:15:09PM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: >Interesting. It would seem to imply that qedushas hakohein is tied to
: >role, and not anything inherent about the souls of kohanim.
:
: If so, is one to deduce that a Kohein who has a physical disability
: that disqualifies him from serving in the Bais Ha Mikdash is not to
: be "honored" like all other Kohanim? ...

I think aliyah laTorah is different than duchaning because it's not
about the kohein as a kohein, but mishum tiqun olam. So, we divy out
the kavod according to strict rules, so that society runs smoother.
Not based on qedushah.

Maybe it's even kavod vs qedushah.

Tangents:

BTW, the nearest Bar Ilan found for me was Igeros Moshah OC 2:50-51.
Rav Moshe holds that a kohein married to a gerushah should not get the
first aliyah (#50), but (#51) a mumar letei'avon may, because he's not
a kofer.

There is also a separate discussion is someone who is wheelchair bound
can get an aliyah at all, or if the chiyuv for an oleh to stand is
me'aqiev. From the pasuq "amod imadi". The accepted pesaq really only
permits calling someone who can't stand if their reason for not being able
to stand is obvious or known to the tzibbur. IOW, oneis Rachamanah patrei
for his non-standing, but the kavod haTorah is an issue if it looks bad
to the tzibbur. I didn't spend the same time researching this tangent,
as you can tell by the lack of a single source.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             There's only one corner of the universe
micha at aishdas.org        you can be certain of improving,
http://www.aishdas.org   and that's your own self.
Fax: (270) 514-1507      	    - Aldous Huxley