[Avodah] Behaaloscha YOU CAN'T WIN 'EM ALL

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat May 26 18:36:57 PDT 2018

Both dedications, the dedication of the Mishkan by the Nesiim and the dedication of the Menorah by Aharon were required.
The Midrash mentions that Aharon was depressed that neither he nor his tribe was included in the dedication of the Mishkan.
This brings to mind the time when I gave a student of mine a part in the family service that he considered inferior and unimportant.
Convinced I had the perfect answer, I confindently and proudly informed him about the dedications of the Mishkan and of the Menorah
and how God comforted Aharon by saying that his part of the dedication ceremony was the greatest of all, in that he was charged with the kindling of the Menora.
I was sure that would make my pupil feel much better but without batting an eyelash, my student immediately retorted: "Yeah, but you're not God!"

I ended up being more depressed than Aharon!