[Avodah] insight from a MO mechaneich

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 25 08:22:41 PDT 2018

This isn't an MO issue, even if the subject line mentions the affiliation
of the mechaneikh. For many people in yeshivish minyanim I attend,
davening with a tzibbur is something one does between gaps in looking
at a seifer.

And among the yeshivish-lite (Shababnikim?), minyan is an excuse to get
together for the qiddush.

We really don't know how to daven. And all the time we spend teaching
how to learn contributes to that. Defining religious inspiration in
terms of learning, new knowledge, makes it hard to find what the point
is in saying the same words yet again. When the majority of men who
learn daf don't chazer the gemara they learned until it comes around
again another 7 yrs 5 mo later, who can find patience for saying the
same words numerous times a week?

We need to know how to teach davening, whether in school or adult
education. Take a page from qumzitz and experiential religion, rather
than modes that look at sitting with a siddur in contrast to other
books. We define it those terms, tefillah won't get anywhere.