[Avodah] What is a Chasid?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 07:08:39 PDT 2018

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 05:24:24AM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: The nature of language is that meanings of words change over time.

With that in mind as a caveat, let's look at Chazal's chassidim
harishonim. Aside from famously spending 9 hours a day (12 on days
when Mussaf is said?) on tefillah,

    Our sages repeated [in a beraisa]: The early Chassidim would hide
    their thorns and broken pieces of glass in the middle of their
    fields 3 tefachim [roughly one foot] deep, so that it would not
    [even] stop the plowing.

    Rav Sheishes would put them to the fire, Ravan would place them
    in the Tigres [the large river alongside which his home city of
    Pumbedisa was built].

    Rav Yehudah said: The person who wants to be a chassid [he should
    take care] to follow the words of [the tractates on] damages.

    Ravina said: The words of [Pirqei] Avos.

    Others say in response [that Ravina said]: the words of [the tractate]
    Berakhos [blessings].
				    - Bava Qama 30a

"Amrei leih" as the end is most ocnsistent with what we normally discuss
about them.

However, notice everyone else assumes a BALC definition of chassidus.

They come up in Seifer Hakabiim I as among the bravest of warriors,
and among the last to accept the permissibility of fighting on Shabbos.

Micha Berger             The goal isn't to live forever,
micha at aishdas.org        the goal is to create so mething that will.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507