[Avodah] Making a bracha on Niagara Falls

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Tue May 22 06:52:57 PDT 2018

At 09:12 AM 5/22/2018, Micha Berger wrote:

>But it could still not be worth the learning missed.
>
>There is something counterintuitive here, as there are numerous examples
>of R' Avigdor Miller calling on his audience to utilize their wonder at
>the amazingness of the beri'ah as a tool to building emunah and bitachon.
>And yet Niagra Falls... This is why I am guessing that he meant more
>"nothing compared to the cost", and not zero in an absolute sense.

RSRH certainly was involved in learning to a great extent,  and yet
he took the time to go to Switzerland to see,  I presume, the
Alps.  I know that Rav Schwab also went to Switzerland.  Many gedolim
in Europe  went in the summer to vacation resorts,  and there are
pictures of Mir students at summer camp. See
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~rkimble/Mirweb/YeshivaStudents2.html

R. Miller could have learned in the car ride to Niagara Falls or
taken a plane and learned on the plane.

Yiddishkeit is IMO based on balance,  which requires seeing the world
as it is,  namely,  mostly gray.

I knew R. Miller very well, and he saw the world in only black and
white.  IMO opinion he lived a life of extremes. He even "resented"
having to go the Chasana of a grandchild in Cleveland.  I do not know
of any other grandfather who would have felt that way,  do you?

YL