[Avodah] Birkat Kohanim

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue May 22 04:01:35 PDT 2018

1)  The Priestly Threefold Benediction had the following:
The first blessing has three words, the second five, the third seven.  They remind us of the foundation for all blessings:  The tree Patriarchs, the five books of the Torah, and the seven Heavens.  Bachya

2)  Israel said to God:  "Why do you tell the priests to bless us? We desire Your blessing alone!"  Said the Holy One: "Although I have told the priests to bless you, I shall stand in their company to give effect
to the benediction."  Therefore, at the end of the section it states explicitly (verse 27): "I will bless them."   Midrash  Numbers R. (11:2, 8, end).

3) Why do we ask God first to bless us and then keep or guard us?  Because, if He does give us material blessings, we need to be protected from the evil results such prosperity may bring.
The Hasidic Anthology P.359 quoting the Tzechiver Rebbe.

4)  There is an interesting connection between Parshat Naso, which is the longest parsha in the Torah, comprising 176 verses, and the 119th Psalm (of Tehillim), which also contains 176 verses
and is the longest in the book of Psalms. This psalm carries the distinct title, "Torah, the Way of Life."