[Avodah] ​ Generators on Shabbos in Israel

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Mon May 21 03:55:24 PDT 2018

R' Ben Rothke wrote:

> I know there are those that use generators on Shabbos in Israel,
> AIUI, so as not to be ne'neh from chilul shabbos.

Also, apparently, as a form of protest.

> With that, in modern electricity plants, there is so much that is
> automated, it's almost on auto-pilot. So what exactly is the
> potential chillul shabbos?

R' Israel Meir Morgenstern put out an entire Sefer on this -
http://www.virtualgeula.com/Stock/Books/Show/11160 -  and regular
updates as booklets.

According to him, it's not nearly as automated as they pretend. IIRC
he did on-site research, not relying on what the Electric Company
wants people to believe.

> Based on that, shouldn't these people also draw their water before
> shabbos? As water treatment plants also have workers there on shabbos.

There are those who do that too. Check the roofs in Charedi
neighborhoods - those with huge black reservoirs are doing just that.

That said, I asked his father, R' D. A. Morgenstern shlita about
getting one of those water reservoirs and he said it wasn't necessary.
(I didn't ask him about electricity.)

- Danny