[Avodah] The night of Makas Bechoros

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri May 18 14:41:25 PDT 2018

See Malbim, who suggests that according to R Yose Haglili, who says
that the issur chometz that year was only for one day, that one day
was the 14th, not the 15th, but since with kodshim the night follows
the day it was from the morning of the 14th till the morning of the
15th.  Therefore they started baking bread at daybreak, intending to
let it rise, but they were immediately ordered to leave and had no
time.

Alternatively, since most meforshim understand the one day to be the
15th, he suggests that they mixed the dough intending to bake matzos,
but they didn't even have time to do that and had to take the unbaked
dough, which would naturally have become chometz during their journey,
but miraculously it did not rise and when they got where they were
going they baked it as matzos (or, according to pseudo-Yonasan, the
sun baked it, which presents halachic problems of its own, since
sun-baked bread doesn't have the status of bread).