[Avodah] Yom HaMeyuchas

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 15 12:31:10 PDT 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 04:53:47PM +0000, Gershon Seif via Avodah wrote:
: Does anyone here know who coined this phrase Yom HaMeyuchas? I asked
: many b'nei Torah and nobody seems to know.

The oldest usage Bar Ilan and I could find was the one I had initially
thought of -- the AhS. In OC 494:7, RYME gives 3 reasons for not fasting
on that day. #2:
   And more: On that day, Moshe told them to becom qadosh. Uregilin
   liqroso "Yom haMyuchas" because of this.
<https://www.sefaria.org/Aruch_HaShulchan.1.494.7>

Which makes me think the AhS was saying it's just mimetic. Otherwise,
I would have expected "uregilin le-" to have been replaced by a source.

More than that, his vanilla "uregilin" is more typical of his description
of accepted Litvisher practice. He tends to report others' practices by
saying whom, even if it's a recent import to Litta. For example, se'if
3 mentions that the Chassidim haQadmonim were up all night on Shavuos,
as per the Zohar, "vegam agah harbeih osin kein" and in the morning they
go to miqvah, all as a zeikher leMatan Torah. Staying up all night gets
a "they", not a "we", and is labeled as lower-case-c chassidic / Zoharic
custom.

Chodesh Tov!

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Malchus: What is the beauty of
Fax: (270) 514-1507               unity (on all levels of relationship)?