[Avodah] quick parshas Behar question

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 9 20:09:10 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 11:15:51AM -0400, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
: We know Rashi's famous question and answer: that shmita eitzel har sinai
: here is to show us that this, too, and all the details, were also given at
: har sinai.

See my vertl at <http://www.aishdas.org/mesukim/5764/behar.pdf>.

That's the Sifra that Rashi is quoting.

: My question, however, is: why davka _this_ mitzvah (shmita/yovel)?  Other
: mitzvos could have been used to demonstrate the point that Rashi mentions.

Rashi mentions that shemittah isn't taught in Devarim.

The Malbim explains that this is unexpected, since shemittah didn't
apply until entering EY, and such mitzvos tend to be the ones introduced
in Devarim.

: Thoughts?

I ran with it... Suggesting that the whole point is that the reductionist
approach doesn't work to understanding Torah. This was brought to light
bedavqa with a mitzvah that isn't needed to be known yet for its own
sake. But the whole picture was given at Sinai, even shemittah, so that
we can understand any of the picture.

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Yesod: What is imposing about a
Fax: (270) 514-1507                          reliable person?