[Avodah] melucha

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon May 7 07:45:24 PDT 2018

On 06/05/18 20:58, David Riceman via Avodah wrote:
> RMB:

>> 3- R' Dovid Cohen's formulation is based on melukhah. When malkhus
>> stopped, muich of the king's power fell to the Sanhedrin. When the
>> Sanhdring stopped, rabbanim inherited much of their authority, or act
>> as their sheluchim in abstentia. Therefore, we are obligated to make
>> gedolim our communal leadership. (Nothing to do with asking Daas Torah on
>> personal issues, which this model does not speak about.) Right or wrong,
>> they are supposed to lead.

> How does this fit with Pesahim 112a al tadur b’ir sherasheha talmidei hahamim?

Very nicely.  R Akiva's advice clearly refers to the askanim, those
doing the actual work of administering the city, not to the chachamim
who are to guide them.  There need to be askanim because the chachamim
have no time for klal work; they're busy learning and will neglect it.
So those who lack either the head or the bottom for full-time learning
can be the administrators, and when they need guidance they will consult
the chachamim.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper