[Avodah] Judging The Credibility Of The Sages

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri May 4 12:06:28 PDT 2018

At 12:41 PM 5/4/2018, Micha Berger wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:03:11PM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>: Let me begin with Daas Torah.
>: The idea of the infallibility of  religious leaders is, IMO, a
>: result of the Chassidization of Yahadus.  I do not believe that this
>: was prevalent in the non-Chassidic world prior to WW II.
>
>It is also not normative Aggudist thought today. I cannot speak to the
>popularity of the idea, but it's not what they mean when their ideologues
>speak of it. Daas Torah has a number of formulations, none of which are
>infallibility. This is simply a strawman nay-sayers like to address.
Please see the article To Flee Or To Stay?  at
http://www.hakirah.org/vol%209%20bobker.pdf

At the end of the article it says, "This article is excerpted from
Joe Bobker's "The Rabbis and the Holocaust," to
be published by Geffen Books in the summer of 2010."  However,  to
the best of my knowledge this book was never published,  and I have
always wondered why.

YL