[Avodah] Lag B"omer

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri May 4 05:04:16 PDT 2018

At 06:24 AM 5/4/2018, Simon Montagu wrote:

> > There is no evidence that anyone at all celebrated Lag B'Omer before the
> > 17th century. (Please correct me if you have evidence otherwise.)
> >

>I wonder if the author of this article recites Kabbalat Shabbat and sings
>Lecha Dodi on Friday nights. There is no evidence that anyone at all did
>that before the 16th century.

In Ashkenaz shuls it used to be the custom (and probably still is in
some places) that Kabbolas Shabbos was said from the shulchan where
the Torah is leined rather that from where the Shatz normally davened
for the Amud.  This is to show that Kabbolas Shabbos was an addition
to the davening.

Kabbolas Shabbos was not accepted in Frankfurt for some time,  and I
was told that in one place the Shatz did not wear a talis for it to
show that it was not really part of the davening.

YL