[Avodah] Dancing Around A Bonfire & Concern of Foreign Practices: Rav Wosner’s Responsum

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu May 3 09:03:10 PDT 2018

On 03/05/18 10:01, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:

> Don't the Sefardim hold all of the 33rd day and stop the Minhag of
> Aveilus on the 34th day?  If so,  how can Sefardim go to Meron on the
> night of the 33rd?

The same way they can go during the day.   Haircuts and weddings are
still forbidden, but the celebration of Rashbi doesn't involve either of
those things.  (There is no issur on music during sefirah; that seems to
be a modern invention, presumably because in modern times we've become
lenient on the prohibition against music at any time, so we need to
impose a restriction during sefirah, whereas earlier generations who
were strict with the general prohibition didn't feel a need to
strengthen it now.)

> I would like to know when the minhag originated to end the aveilus at
> Tzeis and who started it.

As I wrote earlier, it seems associated with the adoption of the
Rashbi's celebration on top of the earlier marking of the end of the
plague among R Akiva's students.  Thus it would probably have started in
Tzfas in the late 16th century and spread into Europe in the 18th
century together with the AriZal's kabbalah. (Note that according to the
AriZal, not cutting hair is not connected to avelus, and applies on Lag
Ba`omer as well, except for upsherenishen. But not having weddings is
because of avelus, so if we're celebrating Yom Simchas Rashbi they
should be permitted.)

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper