[Avodah] Dancing Around A Bonfire & Concern of Foreign Practices: Rav Wosner’s Responsum

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed May 2 09:45:50 PDT 2018

On 02/05/18 12:04, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> To my mind, what's more problematic is ending omer mourning before Lag
> baOmer morning. The SA has you wait for haircuts until 34 laOmer (493:2)
> and the Rama cites the Maharil and minhag on the 33rd "umarbim bo qetzas
> simchah, but explicitly writes, "ve'ein lehistapeir ad La"G be'atzmo
> velo miba'erev". With exceptions for cutting before Shabbos rather than
> waiting for Sunday and for berisim, lekhavos haMilah. In se'if 3, the
> Rama excludes the night of Lag baOmer for people who mourn on the last
> days too.
>
> And you need part of the 33rd day too, so that with miqtzas hayom kekulo
> you have 33 days. The SA haRav (the only Chassidic code of halakhah I
> have access to) agrees in 493:5 -- "aval laylah, afilu kulah, einah
> kekhol hayom".
>
> At some point a minhag originated to end the aveilus at tzeis. (And I
> know it's at tzeis and not sheqi'ah because my nephew's wedding scheduled
> later than the norm, this evening.)
>
> I don't know the origin.

The origin is with the shift in the significance of the day from the end
of mourning for R Akiva's students to the celebration of Rashbi's happy
day, the day of his "wedding", when he revealed the Idra Zuta and
returned to his Maker.

A cessation of mourning, such as the last day of shiva, obviously begins
in the morning. Nor is it an occasion for joy; when one gets up from
shiva one doesn't go dancing and singing.  Thus the restrictions are
lifted only after daybreak, and tachanun is said at mincha on the
previous day, just as it is on the other three days whose observance
begins in the morning, viz Pesach Sheni, Erev Rosh Hashana, and Erev Yom
Kippur.

But the celebration of Rashbi is a positively happy occasion, so it
starts immediately at nightfall, and no tachanun is said at the previous
mincha.

The first edition of SA Harav, and especially Hilchos Pesach, which is
the first section he wrote, follows nigleh, not nistar, and relies
heavily on the Magen Avraham.  (He later expressed regret over his
over-reliance on the MA, which is one reason why he wrote a second
edition, only a few chapters of which are extant.)  So it's not
surprising that this is the psak found there, however it is not the psak
that was followed in Chabad, which means in practice he paskened
differently.  (Sometimes it means he changed his mind, but sometimes he
never paskened in practice as he wrote in the SA, for the reasons I
mentioned above.)

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper