[Avodah] Farfetched Ukimtas

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 1 03:00:30 PDT 2018

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 06:47:36AM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
:> I like the idea RETurkel repeated here some time ago that an oqimta is
:> the gemara's way to construct a case where the stated law holds, and
:> there are no counterveiling issues involved.

:> Which might allow us to distinguish between dinim that have outlandish
:> cases suggested, and a din in which could only apply in the outlandish
:> case.

: And it's easy to imagine that the grass is poisonous or the man is a
: prisoner (example from bava Basra)? This ukimta doesn't seem more
: unreasonable then so many others. In fact, it seems relatively reasonable.

But I didn't argue that those other oqimtos weren't farfetched.

I suggest exploring if the distinction is between
    a din that could only apply in the farfetched case
and
    dinim that could impact halakhah, but for clarity are illustrated
    in a case that is farfetched, but eliminates oextraneous dinim from
    the distcussion.

This is based on R' Eli Turkel's post of R' Michel Avraham's thought
in last year's discussion of oqimtos. See
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol35/v35n027.shtml#02>. (He offered to
send anyone interested a PDF of the article.) RMA argues that the oqimta
serves to accompilsh the latter. So, it seemed to me they were upset in
this case because it wasn't about elimminating other factors.

In a different post, I suggested another line to explore, if you prefer
it. Diffierent batei medrash had different tolerances for R Yirmiyahu's
questions, and those too also used farfetched cases. And if so, maybe
there was one beis medrash during the course of the ccenturies of
amoraim that simply had no patience for odd oqimtos; even though they
were atypical that way.

Micha Berger             Today is the 31st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Hod: What level of submission
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      results in harmony and balance?