[Avodah] Farfetched Ukimtas

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at mail.gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 01:22:56 PDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Rich, Joel <JRich at sibson.com> wrote:
>> The question is why specifically here does the Gemara object to farfetched
>> ukimtas? ...`

> One line of approach is that the Gemara had a separate line of tradition
> as to what the Halacha was and simply was  reconciling The sources with the
> already known outcome.

It doesn't sound that way from the Gemara, The Gemara goes as follows:

1. Ula makes a statement that Holachah without walking is Pasul.

2. The Gemara brings a proof against him from a Mishna (where the blood
spills, etc.)

3. The Gemara answers for Ula with an ukimta for the Mishna which doesn't
contradict his din

4. The gemara says the ukimta is unreasonable

Nowehere does it sound like we are reconciling sources with a known
outcome. It sounds like a typical give and take found all over shas
where ukimtas are simply accepted.