[Avodah] When Bittul Chometz precedes Mechiras Chometz

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 24 08:24:34 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 6:33pm EDT, R Akiva Miller wrote:
: This is actually a very old question, usually phrased as: "If I do
: Bitul, why do I need a Bedika also?" I concede that the *main* answer
: to this is that the Bitul might not be sincere, but that is not the
: only reason.

I don't see how this works as a reason. Is an insincere declaration of
hefqeir less real than an insincere asmachta of a sales contract?

The MB's other reason (gezeira) and discussion thereof, elided.

: Some may question what I am writing in this post, and they will point
: out that Mechira is more effective than Bedika, because (as RBW wrote)
: Mechira gets rid of ALL the chometz, whereas Bedika only gets rid of
: the chometz that we found...

"Dechazisei udelo chazisei"?

: A better question to ask, I think, might be: If I have sold my
: chometz, why do I also need the BITUL? After all, the Mechira already
: removed ALL chometz from my possession, and there's nothing left for
: me to nullify! (Hmmmm... I wonder if that might be what RBW had
: intended to type!)

Can you sell something you didn't know you owned?