[Avodah] Halacha Yomis - Hafrashas Challah, At Large Factories

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Apr 23 05:39:50 PDT 2018

>From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. How does the OU separate Challah at Jewish owned factories that manufacture bread and related items that require Challah separation? Is there a mashgiach separating a piece of dough from every batch? Isn’t that impractical?

A. For OU-certified restaurants and caterers, the mashgiach separates Challah from every batch of dough. However, in factories it is not practical to have a mashgiach present each time a batch of dough is made. Instead the OU uses what we call the “Tevel Matzah system.”

Open boxes of matzah that did not have Challah separated from them (i.e. tevel) are placed in these factories next to the mixers. The mashgiach declares that each time a batch of dough is made, a designated piece of the matzah should become Challah and exempt that batch of dough. Even though the matzos have already been baked and the mixer contains unbaked dough, we have already seen that one can separate from baked matzah on raw dough when both are obligated in Challah.