[Avodah] H' S'fatai Tiftach

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Thu Apr 19 04:25:17 PDT 2018

The question was asked why H' S'fatai Tiftach immediately
precedes the Amidah.

I gave the following response:

Soncino gives a very poignant explantion.

“O Lord, open Thou my lips; and my mouth
shall declare Thy praise.”

David’s lips had been sealed by wrongdoing,
because praise of God would then have been
blasphemy. If, then, God opened his lips and he
was again enabled to offer Him praise, it was a
sign that he had been granted pardon.

What a profound thought before one of the most
prominent and central prayers of our entire liturgy.
We are all sinners and hope for the same pardon that
King David was granted.