[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Apr 19 08:04:09 PDT 2018

At 04:05 PM 4/18/2018, Micha Berger wrote:
>Eitz Chaim did evolve into something, but YU and RIETS aren't day
>schools. MTA and BTA start later. R' Matlin started Eitz Chaim as a
>post-PS program in his apartment. I don't know when secular studied
>began, but initially, it didn't have to.

I would like to continue to correct what you wrote in an earlier post.

 From https://goo.gl/e4pm3b

"Revel consistently maintained that secular knowledge in Judaism was
never separate from the study of Torah. He emphasized the importance
of unifying Judaism and secular studies. Often speaking of the,
"harmonious union of culture and spirituality," he believed that
knowledge of the liberal arts would broaden one's understanding of
Torah. However, Revel's dedication to Orthodox Jewry was undisputed.
For instance, he forbade the use of a female vocalist in the 1926
Music Festival, as a female singer is a violation of Orthodox Jewish
law. He did not allow Reform Jews to serve on Yeshiva College's
national board of directors. He was also staunchly opposed to mixed
seating in synagogues.

"He wrote: 'Yeshiva aims at unity, at the creation of a synthesis
between the Jewish conception of life, our spiritual and moral
teaching and ideals, and the present-day humanities, the scientific
conscience and spirit to help develop the complete harmonious Jewish
personality, once again to enrich and bless our lives, to revitalize
the true spirit and genius of historic Judaism.'"

 From https://goo.gl/hbRw8S

"Rabbi Revel's first step as the new head of RIETS was the creation
of an affi liated high school. The high school, Talmudical Academy,
had its fi rst entering class in September 1916."

Regarding Rabbi Moshe Meir Matlin please see

"<http://www.jewishpress.com/sections/magazine/glimpses-ajh/rabbi-moshe-meir-matlin-torah-education-pioneer/2008/04/02/>Rabbi
Moshe Meir Matlin, Torah Education Pioneer in America" The Jewish
Press, April 4, 2008, pages 42 & 91.

YL