[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 17 10:59:10 PDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 08:14:25PM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: Secular studies were not instituted in the US as a lechatchila but as a
: bdieved.

Historically this was true, but maybe because of timing. The wave of
rabbis coming in when the big drive for day school education started
were predominantly a particular kind of Litvak. Look who the big
voices were in the Agudas haRabbanim of the first half of the 20th
century.

RARakeffetR makes a strong case that one of the differences between
RSRH and RYBS was just how lekhat-chilah secular studies are.

RSRH held that our insulation from general culture and general knowledge
was a tragic consequence of ghettoization. And that we never chose that
life, it was forced upon us. The Emancipation was seen as a boon, allow
the full expression of Judaism again.

RYBS, in RARR's opionion (and of course, others vehemently disagree)
only saw secular studies as the ideal way to live in a suboptimal
situation. Secular knowledge in-and-of-itself as well as its ability to
help one live in dignity is lekhat-chilah only within this bedi'eved
world. But had we all been able to move back to Brisk, it would be all
the better.

Which gets us to the eis la'asos discussion. Shas too is lekhat-chilah
and a great thing. What is bedi'eved is the reality that forced Rebbe,
Rav Ashi, Ravinah to canonize official texts and (according to Tosafos)
the geonim to write it down. But since we are still in that reality,
we still publish TSBP -- lekhat-chilah.