[Avodah] When Bittul Chometz precedes Mechiras Chometz

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Mon Apr 16 11:33:13 PDT 2018

Last year I read the document that one signs with the Rabbinate about
the mechira. It was quite clear - you sell everything.  Everything
includes things that you may have forgotten about  and even things that
you have no idea if you own, like stocks in some company that deals in
chameitz (even if your ownership is via your pension fund). Everything
means everything.

I asked around with several rabbanim and they told that "Truth of the
matter is, once you sell your chameitz there is no real need to do a
bedika. Anything in your house, whether you know about or not, is owned
by the non-Jew."

The question that came up for me later was "OK, so we do a bedika anyway
because that is the custom. But why say a bracha?".