[Avodah] Non Torah Studies

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 06:35:36 PDT 2018

I enjoy reading smatterings from the philosophical musings of the great
scientists. But I suspect, that is the very reason they are banned. It is
because they are NOT boring. And I suspect that unless it may assist me in
my Parnassah even reading about new tech developments etc, is likely to be
prohibited, not as a corrosive Hashkafa but simply as a time waster. But as
the saying goes, Nobody's Perfect [which is sometimes followed by - I am a
Nobody]

Furthermore, the loud protests that I can already hear, are voiced by those
who live in this world which is influenced by non-Torah energies. If we
experience boredom when learning Torah - then is it not true that we are
still far from the truth of Torah?

Reb Avigdor M said - ever noticed how people yawn during Bentching? And
would then wryly observe, They were not yawning a minute earlier during the
ice cream.

I have a friend, a Sefaradi Satmar Chossid, V Frum V Ehrlich, who asked R A
Miller if he should learn ShaAr HaBechicnah in the ChHalevovos, R A asked
him if he reads the newspapers, to which he replied, No - to which Reb
Avigdor responded You need to learn it anyway because the streets are
infiltrated with the HashpaAh of the newspapers.

I apologise if I seemed to be dismissive of the scientists and their
philosophical musings - and the truths that they may discuss
Sure, I agree, truth is truth no matter the source.

I was merely reflecting upon the reason for the ban on Alternative Wisdoms
A] they are unnecessary - they are not required for Parnassah
B] they waste time from Torah
C] they may well harbour and cultivate life-concepts that are alien and
contrary to Torah, amongst the granules of truth

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837