[Avodah] R' Baruch Ber Leibovitch (Prof. Levine)

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at mail.gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:02:08 PDT 2018

On Sunday, April 15, 2018, Prof. Levine <larry62341 at optonline.net> wrote:
> When Rabbi Abraham Rice started his day school in Baltimore in about 1852
> there was no law requiring the teaching of secular studies to young
> people.

> Secular studies were not instituted in the US as a lechatchila but as a
> bdieved.

> Ah,  so we agree that things do change with the times.  Good!

This is not something to be happy about. This is more along the lines of es
laasos lashem heiferu torasecha. The rabbanim has to make a very difficult
decision to violate the Halacha in order to save the next generation. This
was not uncommon in America of that time. Young Israel's sponsored mixed
dances for the same reasons. However, now that the Torah community is much
stronger they are trying to go back to the strict Halacha.