[Avodah] R' Baruch Ber Leibovitch (Prof. Levine)

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 01:31:53 PDT 2018

R' Yitzchak Levine wrote:
"In conclusion,  I think that what Rabbi Leibowitz
wrote is irrelevant to today's world. I am
surprised that you even bothered to quote him."

And yet the overwhelming majority of the Charedi world agrees with his
teshuva.

There is no question that the simple reading of the Rama is like R' Baruch
Ber. The Rama writes:

"But it is not for a person to learn anything but Torah, Mishna and Gemara
and the halachic decisors that come after them and through this they will
acquire this world and the world to come. But not with learning any other
wisdoms. In any case, it is permitted to learn through happenstance all
other knowledge as long as it isn't a book of heresy.  This is what called
by the Rabbis a trip in the Pardes, A person should not take a trip in the
Pardes until he has filled his belly with meat and wine [Torah] and he
knows the lasw of issur v'heter and the laws relating to mitzvos"

The Rama clearly writes that secular studies cannot be learned on a regular
set basis. Not only that, but he writes that even happenstance secular
studies should only be done AFTER you know shas and poskim.