[Avodah] shevet/adoption

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 11 09:45:19 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 01:50:01PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Is anyone aware of any authorities that hold that an adopted child may
: be called up (or function) based on the shevet of the adopted father?

All I have is the reverse. R' Gedalia Felder (Yesodei Yeshurun 2 pp
188-191) holds that an adopted child can be called up "ben Micha Shemuel",
but that this shouldn't be done when the adopting father or the son is a
kohein. In order to avoid confusion about the child's kehunah. (Or that of
a future descendent, when people vaguely remember his name years later).
I assume leviim too, but that's not in my notes.