[Avodah] Did the Jews Really Speak Hebrew When They Were in Mitzraim?

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:39:28 PDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Professor L. Levine <llevine at stevens.edu>
wrote:

> One often hears the assertion that one of the things the kept the Jews
> from assimilating in Egypt is that they spoke Hebrew and not Egyptian.
> Indeed,  this is one of the justifications given by those who want their
> children to speak Yiddish rather than say English. (For the record,  as far
> as I know, Yiddish is essentially Middle Deutsch, and hence to my mind has
> no inherent "Jewish" quality.)

> Thus oft made assertion that the Jews spoke Hebrew while in Mitzraim may
> not be true.
>
> YL

May not be true is the operative word, there is no disputing that there is
an opinion in Chazal that it is true and that the Jews spoke only Hebrew in
Egypt.  This is the opinion that the Chasidim follow and therefore they are
against speaking English. I don't see how you can find fault with them when
they are following a valid opinion in Chazal.