[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

Alexander Seinfeld seinfeld at jsli.org
Tue Apr 10 10:08:53 PDT 2018

Playing devil’s advocate here. For the record, I have college and graduate
degrees, my children all read and write well etc.

However, in response to Prof. Levine. If the cost of that exposure to
American secular culture (language, history, values, etc.) is that a
certain percentage of children may be enticed by it and go OTD - more than
would have otherwise - then, yes, it makes sense. That’s an unacceptable
cost. I’m not saying that that is a real cost, but that is the perception.
If you want to change the practice, you have to change that perception
(which may have some truth to it, I don’t know).