[Avodah] Sh'mini sh'mini!

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 10 08:09:18 PDT 2018

> : During a leap year, in ch'l, when Pesach starts on shabbos, we (always?
> : usually?) read from a different parsha eight times.  (I'll leave this is as
> : a trivia question for now).
>
> There was a saying: Shemoneh 'Shemini' shemeinah. Years like this one
> were considered propitious for a large crop.
>
> (I think I saw that in a sichah by the LR.)

REMT wrote me off line and noted: "I don't know its source, but I first
heard it when I was a young child."

He also answered my trivial question, writing: "In a leap year, the
parsha read eight times will always be Acharei Mos. I know of no one
commenting on its significance."

It just occurs to me that the main event in parshas Acharei Mos occurred
on the same day as the events in parshas Shemini.

Kol tuv!

-- Sholom