[Avodah] Kneidlach - what the ShA HaRav actually says

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 10 03:19:33 PDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 02:15:47PM +1000, Isaac Balbin via Avodah wrote:
: Postscript: Is anyone concerned about the Kulos in our day, where they
: essentially dismiss the Maaris Ayin concern, and make pseudo bread and
: pseudo bread products? The fashionable Pesach retreats and cruises are
: quite good (I'm told) at serving up 'eggs on toast' in the morning, or a
: "hot dog roll".

It's not a qulah, it's a reluctance to extend a minhag our ancestors made,
even though one of the reasons suggested post-facto for it would apply.
There is no special pesaq by which this is the only way Pesachdik beigels
would be muttar. Rather the lack of invention of a new issur.

Like not declaring quinoa to be qitniyos.

And unlike declating peanuts to be. (Which some of Eastern Europe did,
and as RMF attests, some didn't.) For that matter, is there anyone whose
ancestors had the minhag of qitniyos but didn't include corn when it
was brought over from the New World?

Since minhag is by definition informal and mimetic, what happens to
catch on or not doesn't trouble me. Boils down to a qasheh oif a masseh.
(You can't ask a "question on a story"; how it happened is how it
happened, unreasonalbe or not.)

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?