[Avodah] Eating before Biur Chometz

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 10 03:12:26 PDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 07:50:13AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: On Erev Pesach morning, why is it that we are allowed to eat before Biur
: Chametz? What makes this mitzva different from so many other mitzvos, where
: we cannot eat until doing rhe required act?

When the issur de'oraisa begins is a machloqes tannaim (RH 28a-b): Rabbi
Yehudah holds starting from chatzos, R Meir - from sheqi'ah. (Does the
issur start from when the non-qorban <grin> could be shechted, or when
it could be eaten?) The Rambam in Chameitz uMatzah 1:8 pasqens chatzos,
as do we when we make the zeman 1 hour before chatzos (rather than 1
hour before sheqi'ah).

MiDerabbanan, it's pushed earlier, and that's the safety margin. But I
don't think that's enough to make it a morning mitzvah that it must be
done first thing.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?