[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Tue Apr 10 02:23:50 PDT 2018

At 04:37 AM 4/10/2018, Marty Bluke wrote:

>You missed the point. It is a concern that the secular learning will
>affect the person there can certainly be exceptions. It is a
>question of cost/benefit for the masses.
>
>Will the masses benefit more from learning secular studies or be
>harmed by the influence. The Chassidic approach is that the harm is
>greater then benefit. The people you listed
>
>were certainly exceptions but exceptions do not make the rule.

When Rabbi S. R. Hirsch was asked about the dangers of teaching
secular studies,  he replied,  (I do not have the exact reply, so I
am paraphrasing..) "True some will be led astray by studying secular
subjects,  but how many more are led astray by the fact that they did
not study secular subjects and are not prepared to deal with the world?"

I have been told that Satmar is experiencing considerable defections
from observance by some of its youth.  I have been told that the same
is true of Chabad.  I have no data to back up these assertions.

YL