[Avodah] Gebrochts - MInhag but absolutely no foundation in Halacha

Rabbi Meir Rabi rabbi at itskosherveyosher.com
Mon Apr 9 23:17:53 PDT 2018

My Gebrochts postings have been to clarify one point - it is wrong to claim
that Gebrochts is Halachically mandated or justified and points to anything
other than a desire to honour a family/group/sect tradition.

and I do thank RIB for his query
to which the answer is a firm NO -
my observation - [if you dont wish to eat Gebrochts because your parents
etc did not -- then enjoy Pesach [if Pesach can be enjoyed w/o Kneidlach]
but if you are concerned about Halacha -- then eat Kneidlach and enjoy
Pesach] -
is in no manner a violation of, "one should not be MAZNIACH [ridicule]
those who have this Chumra" IF they do not eat Gebrochts FOR THE RIGHT
REASON i.e. a desire to honour a family/group/sect tradition

BTW - I do not see this in the ChCHayim, pity RIB did not provide sourcing
But it is in the ShTeshuvah [460:2]
 - Nevertheless those who wish to sanctify themselves by refraining from
that which is permitted - soaked and cooked Matza, even that which has been
[baked hard] and ground [again referring to the corrected practice of
making Matza meal from thinner hard baked Matza and NOT from thicker soft
Matza which was grated on a Rib Ayzen, and at greater risk of being
underbaked and Chametz] - should not be ridiculed.

RIB has not suggested any argument to associate not eating garlic during
Pesach with Gebrochts, and I have no idea what makes one Chumra IN LINE
with other Chumras.
Neither do I understand the significance to our discussion/disagreement.
We both urge those who do not wish to eat Gebrochts/Garlic etc because
their parents etc did not - to keep their tradition.  However, the natural
corollary is - that IF you DO NOT have such a custom - then eat them and
enjoy Pesach because there is no legitimate Halachic imperative.

Also, the reference to Keneidelach being an important contribution to Oneg
Yom Tov is not of my making - it comes from great and highly respected
Poskim.

It is also not correct to characterise this Minhag as being concerned with
the infinitesimal - because that is the Halacha - a speck of flour can
become Chametz and ruin your entire Pesach. Indeed this was the very point
I am making - there is no substance in Halacha to support this concern - if
there was it would be Halacha.

And finally - If anything, the urging that we not be Mazniach, demonstrates
that Halacha has no concerns about this issue. We ought to however,
nevertheless, not ridicule.