[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 9 15:31:34 PDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 06:12:48PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
: >Unless one might argue that the study warps what one learned and one's
: >ability to judge the quality of one's learning.
:
: Are you implying that the GRA's extensive secular education "warped"
: is learning?   I hope not.

I am implying that it is valid for the chassidim whose school you are
critiquing to believe so.

And yes, they probably believe that the Gra's hisnagdus was an error caused
by his exposure to the wrong set of ideas. They *certainly* believe that of
RYBS. (Or at least did in his lifetime. I see an "acharei mos - qedushim"
effect currently going on with RYBS's memory.)

As I wrote, I am defending the position in an eilu va'eilu sense. It is
not a position to which I personally subscribe, nor could subscribe.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Gevurah: When is strict justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            most appropriate?