[Avodah] Kneidlach - what the ShA HaRav actually says

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at mail.gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 23:46:31 PDT 2018

The ShA HaRav does not initiate this ban on Gebrochts as his own,
rather he bases himself upon the propositions of Poskim which we are now
exploring, and it seems that they actually do not support the proposition
to create a ban against Gebrochts.

A]  The observation made by the ShA HaRav, which is central to his
anti-Gebrochts argument - is un-supported.
Our Poskim and our personal experience, has verified that there is no such
thing as flour being found on the surface of baked Matza.

B]  The ShA HaRav does not issue his own assessment [other than observing
flour on the surface of baked Matza] but relies upon other Poskim to
support the proposition that flour remains within the finished Matza.
However, no such thing is found in the Poskim, other than in situations
where flour is added to a dough which is ALREADY formed. No Posek ever
suggested that a normal dough may not be thoroughly kneaded leaving flour
in the finished product. And the ShA HaRav admits this by saying that
nowadays the dough is made very hard, dry, with very little water i.e. it
is not surprising that Poskim have not discussed this as it is a concern
that is due only to this recent change. But no other Poskim from his time
endorsed the reasoning that flour is found on the surface of baked Matza
etc.

C]  it is surprising to hear a devoted Chabadnik suggesting that the
footnotes found in the KeHos, the official Chabad publishers' publication
- are completely irrelevant to the Teshuvah.

There are 2 versions to understanding note 33 on the link provided
=  here is the gobbledigook version - "it brings to the reader's attention,
for his better understanding, a similar concern that is recorded in earlier
times, in specific circumstances, from which one can easily understand why
this current concern should lead to these conclusions"
= here is the plain speak version - "this is the best we can find to
support the proposition" which is, however which way you turn it, no
support at all for this new concern of flour remaining within the baked
Matza.

One can hardly but suspect that the footnote was added because the Taz and
MaAv that the ShA HaRav next refers to, is no support at all for banning
Gebrochts, because their observations are exclusively applicable to thick
soft Matzos that were under suspicion of having had flour added to the
dough during its kneading - and as we mentioned - this had already been
comprehensively stamped out by the times of the ShA HaRav. Remember, they
were kneading soft dough for soft Matza and it was quite likely that the
dough may have been a little too loose and one would be tempted to add more
flour to it.

So there we have it - if you dont wish to eat Gebrochts because your
parents etc did not - then enjoy Pesach [if Pesach can be enjoyed w/o
Kneidlach] but if you are concerned about Halacha - then eat Kneidlach and
enjoy Pesach