[Avodah] Kneidlach - what the ShA HaRav actually says

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 08:09:35 PDT 2018

This year's incarnation of the Gebrochts discussion attempts to discuss the
Halacha and I think traverses territory not clearly enunciated in the past.

Also I would not characterise this as Gebrochts-bashing; I dont believe
anyone is troubled by those who say, "My Rebbe/My tradition is not to eat
whatever it may be" the issue is that Gebrochts is promoted as Halachically
legitimate and therefore preferred if not mandated.

The ShA HaRav declares firstly, that as far as the Halachah is concerned,
there is no concern with Kneidlach during Pesach, see the link -
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=25074&st=&pgnum=486

He does however advise that it is a valid stringency
his first observation/proof however is that flour can be found on the
surface of the Matzos
and later on says this is quite common

However,
A]  we have not been able to verify this in all our years
B]  no other Posek ever verified this claim
this claim supports the proposition that there remains flour within the
finished Matza - but
C]  there has never been a Posek who suggested that dough is not thoroughly
kneaded leaving flour in the finished product
the only concern was that flour not be added AFTER the dough had already
been made
D]  even the published Teshuvah admits this, look at note 33 on the link
provided -

It is universally accepted these days that flour is not added to a dough
already made
and there is no Matza baking program that permits adding flour to the
already made dough

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837