[Avodah] PESACH – AFTER 400 YEARS GD’S IN A HURRY TO REDEEM US?

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:28:48 PDT 2018

We begin the Seder with Matza being a reminder of our suffering – but we
conclude it with a new perspective – Matza reminds us of how quickly Gd
took us out of Egypt.
So what’s the big deal, if Gd was in a hurry to get us out He could/should
have redeemed us many years earlier?

If a beloved member of our family is incarcerated in a penitentiary
[derived from the word penance] we would want in every way possible to
provide reassurance that she is not forgotten and not abandoned.

But sometimes our sympathy and kindness obstructs the penance process and
prevents rehabilitation. And our love for her is focused on her
rehabilitation. In the words of our Sages – 80% of our brothers and sisters
did not become rehabilitated, they did not leave Egypt.

However, when the day, the hour, the minute for release arrives, the warden
may not be in a hurry [she’s been here for 30 years 30 minutes longer is no
big deal] but we, the family who truly love her and have loved her
throughout this long painful process, are clamouring for her release and
every second over the limit is offensive and painful.

This is the hurry we experienced in our redemption – it was driven by Gd’s
love for His Chosen People [there was no train to catch] and it makes us
realise that all the years of affliction were indeed only prompted by Gd’s
love for us.

This is the two faced Matza.

And this is Rabban Gamliel’s adjuration, We MUST declare and have otherwise
not fulfilled our obligation, when we have concluded the Seder – “This
Matza reflects the speed with which HKBH redeemed us” This means, we see
and have internalised the message; Matza may at first appear to suggest
that we are victims of a random and stochastic world, some people and
peoples are just born losers who will live their entire lives subsisting on
the bread of affliction whilst others win the lottery.

But we know better. We declare “Matza – symbolises the speed [the intense
and undying love] of our release, there was not even time for the dough to
rise.” Even the times we endured Gd’s cold shoulder, it was driven only by
His love for His Chosen People.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837